Case Study: Ground Investigation, Hook
Location: Hook, Hampshire
Client: Network Rail
Main Contractor: Southern Zone Construction Partnership
Consultant: Peter Brett Associates
The investigation was commissioned in order to ascertain the ground conditions at each asset and thus facilitate assessments of slope stability.
The scope of works included: -
- the sinking of exploratory holes to determinate the general sequence and composition of the railway embankment;
- in situ testing within exploratory holes to establish the density and consistency of the strata.
- laboratory testing on samples from exploratory holes to determine the engineering and chemical properties of the strata;
- the installation of standpipe piezometers within exploratory holes to monitor groundwater levels;
- the installation of inclinometers within exploratory holes to monitor ground movements;
- production of a factual report