Case Study: United Utilities GI Framework
Client: United Utilities
Location: North West England
Date: 2010 onward
BAM Ritchies has ongoing water industry framework ground investigation contracts for United Utilities, Anglian Water and Scottish Water.
The United Utilities work consists of a variety of individual work packages with values ranging from a few thousand pounds to tens of thousands of pounds for water supply and sewerage schemes.
The work scope has included:
- Cable percussive boreholes to a maximum depth of 40m
- Terrier boreholes to 5m depth
- Rotary boreholes to a maximum depth of 40m, including windowless sampling through drift materials and extending by coring.
- Machine dug and hand dug trial pits
- In situ testing in trial pits
- Installation of gas / groundwater standpipes together with return monitoring / sampling visits
- Excavation by hand to expose buried services
- Survey in all positions using GPS equipment
- Special sampling for Geoenvironmental testing
- Logging of recovered soil samples and rock cores
- Laboratory testing
- Factual report production
Additional aspects include work within traffic management, liaison with many stakeholders, public interfacing and providing additional works to meet the requirements of the main civils contractors.